Homeschool Alumni Reaching Out (HARO) is excited to announce our 2016 scholarship opportunities for homeschool alumni!
In 2015, HARO gave out the first scholarship of its kind–a scholarship funded by homeschool alumni, for homeschool alumni. Thanks to two members of our community, we awarded a $500 scholarship to a homeschool alumna pursuing a degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) field. Our 2015 scholarship winner was Mary Menges, and you can read her winning essays here.
Thanks to multiple donations from our community, in 2016 we are offering two $500 scholarships to homeschool alumni. We will be awarding another $500 scholarship to a homeschool alumna pursuing a STEM degree. We will also be awarding a $500 scholarship to an LGBT+ homeschool alum.
Two one-time, $500 scholarships to be dispensed on April 15, 2016.
1. At least 18 years old.
2. Homeschooled for 4 or more years (including at least 2 years in high school) in a conservative Christian environment.
Applicants may apply to both scholarships, but will only be eligible to win one.
3. For our Women in STEM Scholarship:
• Identifies as a woman.
• Enrolled for the Spring 2016 term in a post-secondary institution in a STEM field (science, technology, engineering, math). Enrollment can be in a university, community college, or technical program.
4. For our LGBT+ Alumni Scholarship:
• Identifies as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, gender non-conforming, or otherwise part of the LGBT+ community.
• Enrolled for the Spring 2016 term in a post-secondary institution. Enrollment can be in a university, community college, or technical program. This scholarship is open to all majors and/or fields of study.
1. The scholarships will be awarded on an objective and nondiscriminatory basis.
2. The scholarships will not be awarded to an officer, manager or trustee of Homeschool Alumni Reaching Out, nor to a member of the scholarship selection committee, nor to a substantial contributor, nor to ineligible US government officials. Family members of the aforementioned individuals are also not eligible to receive the scholarship.
3. The members of the scholarship selection committee will be selected by the HARO board but will operate and make their decision independently from the board.
Entry Application Process:
1. Download and fill out the appropriate entry form (applicants may apply to both scholarships):
2. Procure proof of Spring 2016 term enrollment. Proof can be an official schedule of classes with student’s name or statement from registrar. Women in STEM applicants must submit proof of a STEM major/field of study.
3. Complete the essay question(s) for your particular scholarship. Essay questions are listed on the scholarship application forms.
4. Submit (1) your Scholarship Application, (2) proof of Spring 2016 term enrollment, and (3) your application essay(s) to HARO at email@example.com. If you are unable to submit application materials via email, please contact us at the aforementioned email address to make other submission arrangements.
Deadline for submission of all materials is February 29, 2016.
Author: The HARO Team